These ARE the droids you're looking for. This will be a hands-on introduction to the LEGO MindStorms EV3 kits and software that are being used in this years high school Engineering class. You will get a chance to program and test a basic EV3 Rover-Bot and make some modifications. Some of the students will be on hand to assist with the tech and coding but no previous experience is needed. Download the 'LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3' to your iPad or Chromebook before the DLD Day and you'll be connected and coding in minutes.
Hyperlinks to Session filesTutorial 1 (Get Connected)
- Brief instructions on connecting a device, iPad or Chromebook, to the Mindstorms EV3 bricks (control unit of the LEGO Mindstorms system)Tutorial 2 (Sample Programs)
- Basic introduction to the EV3 Education app 'Lobby'. 'Run/Send' a basic movement program to your robot and observe the program/coding blocks on your device screen.Tutorial 3 (Basic Movement)
- Write a program to control the movement of your robot. Program the robot to follow a square path using 'Wait' and 'Loop' blocks.Tutorial 4 (Move Steering)
- Program your robot to travel in a figure-8 around the obstacles.Tutorial 5 (Sample Program Part 2)
- The robot uses the front-mounted ultrasonic sensor to detect obstacles and change course accordingly.